Our team interviewed AMA Atlanta Board Member Angad Chera about his experience getting a job from the Collegiate Conference in 2008. Angad shares his experience from the conference and gives advice for attendees. This is valuable to anyone attending and may convince those of you debating whether or not to attend!
1. Where did you go to college?
I went to Winthrop University in SC. I majored in Integrated Marketing Communications.
2. When did you attend the AMA Atlanta Collegiate Conference?
I first attended the Collegiate Conference in 2008.
3. What made you decide to attend the Conference?
I graduated college and was looking to move into a major metropolitan area such as New York, L.A. or Atlanta. I had family in all of these cities, and those areas would be a good fit. While I was researching the Atlanta market, I stumbled upon Craigslist ad advertising the AMA Collegiate Conference. I decided to attend, and the rest is history.
4. Who was your favorite speaker?
5. What was your biggest takeaway from the speakers?
I remember that the person from AT&T discussed the release of the iPhone trough the carrier, and all the branding associated with the process.
6. Take us through the process that resulted in you getting a job through the Conference.
I attended the conference after seeing the ad on craigslist. I came alone and networked with the many employers that were present at the conference. I followed up after the conference and was offered an interview.
7. What advice would you give to current students considering coming to the conference?
I would definitely encourage them to attend. This is a very valuable event for future/recent graduates who are looking for employment in the marketing/communications/media industry. Many major corporations will be there, and attending the conference is a great way to get in front of these companies.
8. What advice would you give students who have already registered?
Bring your “A” game. Come prepared with business cards and a resume printed on a professional resume paper. Dress professionally, but make sure you stand out. I think that a student’s success at the Collegiate Conference depends a lot on being able to stand out. This is why a resume printed on a card stock is important. This is why dressing very professionally but a bit differently is important. Recruiters will see a lot of people at the conference. Make sure you stand out.
9. What should students do after the conference is over?
Follow up with the contacts you have made at the conference, and do this within a week after the event. When you reach out, make sure to mention a particular topic you have discussed with the individual. This will make the follow up more personal and reinforce the connection.
10. What else would you like to tell students regarding the AMA Collegiate Conference?
Once again, come prepared. Bring your resume, and make sure it’s updated, follows the one page format and excludes any irrelevant information. Also dress professionally, and have an outgoing demeanor.